Diversity and Inclusion
HR professionals should take a number of steps to prepare for the ADAAA, experts say. These steps include:
- Providing ADA training to supervisors and managers. Training should remind managers of their duty to accommodate not only employees with disabilities but also applicants with disabilities.
- Reviewing the interactive accommodation process. The informal discussion with employees about accommodations shouldn’t be stilted and should reflect an employer’s understanding of its need to be flexible, within reason and without sacrificing consistency. But the process shouldn’t be ad hoc either. It should be well documented and overseen by HR.
- Re-evaluating policies to make sure that they comply, especially in the application and interactive processes.
- Making sure that job descriptions accurately describe what employers believe are the essential functions of the position.
- Developing tools, forms, letters and processes to handle accommodation requests.
SHRM’s Express Request:
Available resources on the ADA ACT are available by visiting here and HR Hot Topics including Diversity are available by visiting here.
- Diverse Workforce Requires Balanced HR Leadership Learn More
- Why a diverse workplace matters Learn More
- Do You Need to Worry About Workforce Diversity Learn More
- The Top 10 Economic Facts of Diversity in the Workplace Learn More