DC SHRM Employment Law Update
Date(s) - 05/14/2020
1:00 pm - 4:15 pm
Categories No Categories
As one of our most popular programs, our annual employment law update has been a priority for 2020. With so many requests for more information on the Paid Leave Act and other emerging issues, we have opted to keep our Employment Law Update on the schedule for May. Due to social distancing measures, we will now offer the program online in webinar format.
On May 14, join DC SHRM for a half-day webinar to get deeper details on important topics. This year’s speakers have put together two 90-minute presentations to bring you the information you need to know in the months to come. As an added benefit of the online delivery, the presentations will be recorded and made available to participants after the program.
This session’s topics will include:
- Universal? You Bet! The D.C. Universal Paid Leave Act: Employee and Employer Rights and Obligations
Last year, the D.C. Universal Paid Leave Act (UPLA)’s tax provisions went into effect. As of July 1, 2019, “Covered employers” are now required to contribute an amount equal to 0.62 percent of the wages of each of their “covered employees” to the Universal Paid Leave Implementation Fund.
This year, the UPLA benefits provisions kick in on July 1, 2020, and the benefit regulations are complicated. This session will:
- Provide HR practitioners with an overview of UPLA requirements.
- Benefits available to employee.
- Review benefit regulations.
- Consider the interplay between the UPLA, current employer provided leave benefits, and existing laws.
- Ways to prepare for the UPLA.
- Not in My Handbook! Tips and Best Practices for Employer Handbooks
Each new year brings plenty of new laws and regulations impacting the employment relationship. The rules that govern the employment relationship can change in just a matter of months. These changes present risks and often divert management’s attention from important business matters, such as updating or creating new handbook policies to address necessary issues in the workplace and to ensure both local and federal compliance. This webinar will focus on the following areas and provide guidance on best practices for handbook policies as it relates to internal investigations, employee discipline, leave policies and legal and federal compliance.
The topics discussed will include:
- The purpose of an employee handbook.
- Overview of personnel policies every employer needs.
- Mistakes to avoid in drafting policies.
- How to identify and correct exposure areas.
Don’t miss your opportunity to get up to date on two critical issues in local employment law!
Follow this link to register now: https://dcshrm.site-ym.com/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=1372443&group=