Keys to Cultivating Inclusion
Date(s) - 10/21/2020
8:30 am - 9:30 am
Keys to Cultivation Inclusion
Today, more than ever, diversity and inclusion are predominant discussions at dinner parties, in the news, and across organizations big and small. Many of us would be hard-pressed to work at an organization that does not see diversity and inclusion as a priority. However, organizational leaders are still struggling to cultivate diverse and inclusive organizations. This presentation will set the stage for understanding how diversity and inclusion is perceived within organizations and how strategies are developed that typically focus on improving diversity and not inclusion. Additionally, Dr. Papini will discuss the challenges involved in increasing inclusion and how organizations can change their current strategies to focus on inclusion. Finally, the presentation will outline the five key component organizational leadership should focus on to cultivate inclusion. A discussion of the five key components (leadership commitment, respect, belonging, empowerment, and progression) will provide participants with 1) an explanation of each component and how it manifests in an organization, 2) understanding of how employees perceive inclusion through the component, and 3) practical tips on how to implement and support each of the five key components in an organization to cultivate inclusion.
- By the end of the presentation/webinar, participants will:
- understand how organizations and leaders focus on D&I as a single entity,
- learn how organizations typically focus on diversity & inclusion, which are really diversity strategies,
- examine why organizations are not focusing on cultivating inclusion, and
- learn about the five key components for cultivating inclusion in any organization.
- Participants will explore each of the five key components to understand:
- what they look like,
- how they manifest in the organization, and
- how employees’ perception of the component builds inclusion
- Participants will also explore and learn practical tips on how to implement and support the develop of each component in the organization to cultivate inclusion
About the speaker:
Dr. Joy Papini is the president of CIDIS Consulting. She works with organizations to assess their current culture and develop diversity and inclusion strategies and initiatives to create more engaging and effective workplace environments.
Dr. Papini is an organizational psychologist with over 20 years of consulting experience supporting commercial and federal organizations. Her areas of expertise include diversity and inclusion, organizational research, people management, organizational development, and strategic planning. She holds memberships with the Society for Human Resource Management, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, and the US Women’s Chamber of Commerce.