Enhancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Coastal Sector
Date(s) - 09/18/2019
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
AGU Conference Center
As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we will be hosting an interactive workshop in the nation’s capital during National Estuaries Week 2019 focused on DEI in the coastal sector. Facilitated by the nationally-recognized consulting organization Avarna Group, and made possible through a grant by the National Science Foundation, this event will focus on adding a DEI lens to recruitment and hiring in the coastal community.
Facilitators will guide participants – through group discussion, collaborative activities, and best practice studies – in viewing bias through three lenses:
- Individual bias that manifests in our personal thoughts and interactions
- Institutional bias that pervades agency and organizational practices and policies – especially those in recruitment and hiring
- Bias that impacts the entire environmental sector based on the history and legacy of conservation and environmentalism
Workshop attendees will have an opportunity to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of bias in the coastal conservation, restoration, and management industry
- Learn strategies for identifying and combating bias during recruitment, hiring, and promotion processes
- Acquire actionable tools to engage in and promote DEI efforts within their own organizations
RAE encourages anyone from the coastal sector to attend, including recruiters, hiring managers, human resource practitioners, and supervisors interested in the advancement of traditionally underrepresented individuals. A special focus will be placed on issues, and subsequent solutions, within coastal research and conservation institutions.